In Mrs. Brucker's class, we will learn skills and tools that will make us
good students and great adults.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

debacle


(n) - An event or situation that is a complete failure can be described as a debacle.
  • Synonyms: catastrophe, failure, disaster, wreck
  • Antonyms: success, miracle
  • Etymology: 1848, from the French word débâcle meaning "breaking up of ice on a river," referring to the violent flood that follows when the river ice melts in spring. This word comes from the early French prefix des- meaning "off" + the word bacler meaning "to bar"
  • Example: If I wasn't careful to make detailed lesson plans, I think our day would be a complete debacle!

1 comment:

  1. Grace says,
    A time when I got in a debacle is when I was being very taboo and macabre, while running into my friends car.It was a long excursion around the block. Also I was in a debacle because, when I ran into the car I had an alternative should I not go knock on the door and tell the parents what happened, or should I be nice and gregarious to tell what happened. After I ran into the car I had to go say sorry for what happened to the car and I was sorry. I also felt really woe.

    ReplyDelete