In Mrs. Brucker's class, we will learn skills and tools that will make us
good students and great adults.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

woe

(n) - Woe is a way to describe the troubles or issues that someone faces.  If you feel great sadness, you could say that you feel woe.
  • Synonyms: anguish, grief, distress, sadness, despair, misery, misfortune
  • Antonyms: happiness, joy
  • Etymology: 12th Century Old English, from wa which is a common expression of sadness in many languages because of its similarity to the sound of a cry
  • Morphology: woeful - adj
  • Example: I am trying hard to ignore the sense of woe I feel about turning 40!
Billy Bug will feel woe if he doesn't get his fill of grubs. Can you help?

1 comment:

  1. Says Grace,
    One time I felt woe was when my cat Pumpkin died. I sat in serenity the whole day and wouldn't collaborate with anybody. Later that week I had an alternative of what cat I would like at the arbitrary pet store. My cat was very vigor and gregarious. After a while Greta and I varied our cats from each other because their names were both mittens and the same color. A little bit after I started having clandestine lingo with her. We were very deft at collaborating with each other. This is the time I felt woe and elated.

    ReplyDelete