In Mrs. Brucker's class, we will learn skills and tools that will make us
good students and great adults.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

looming

(adj) - A looming event seems important, worrying, and difficult to avoid. A looming object appears as a large unclear shape, especially in a threatening way.
*This word can also be used as a verb
  • Synonyms: rising, approaching, menacing, threatening
  • Antonyms: avoidable, distant, far-off, small
  • Etymology: 1540s perhaps from a Scandinavian source (like from the Swedish word loma meaning "move slowly"), meaning "come into view largely and unclearly." Some Etymologists think this word may be a variation from the word lame.
  • Morphology: loom - v, loomed - v
  • Example: Now that the MontCAS is behind us, the NWEA tests are looming in our future.
When a severe thunderstorm is looming in the Midwest, you can bet that Sean Casey and his team will be there to capture it on film!

1 comment:

  1. Gabby says... When something was looming it was a tornado. I was at my house and I was really scared and I was crying. I am very reluctant of tornado's. So I have to stay with my family to be safe. I don't know why I always contemplate about tornado's. I wish tornado's were gregarious or xenial because they are very taboo.

    ReplyDelete